Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Test #1: Vegan Double Chocolate Cake

Vegan baking is tricky. High-altitude baking just might be trickier.

Tonight was my first foray into the art of vegan baking, and although it wasn't a total failure, it was somewhat disappointing. I seemed to have done well with the vegan part but I forgot to compensate for the increased altitude. More flour, more liquid, less leavening. Got it. Tomorrow will be better. I hope to not have a sink hole in the middle of my cake tomorrow.

The vegan frosting I made tonight to go with the cake leaves something to be desired, I must admit. I might have to come up with something else. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to adapt my existing recipes.

In my 9th grade keyboarding classroom, my teacher had a bunch of those cheesy inspirational posters all over the place. I can't help but to think of one now. It said:

Everything is difficult before it becomes easy.

It's as true now with high-altitude vegan baking as it was then when I was learning how to type 60 words per minute. So, as my mother would say, press on, Jessica. Looks like I'm going to have chocolate cake for dinner again tomorrow night. :o)

1 comment:

  1. If anyone can do it...IT'S YOU!

    I believe in you, pretty lady : )

    Much love,
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete