Monday, March 28, 2011

Floppy von Flopperson

I baked a cake on Saturday. As far as the composition of the cake goes, it was probably my best since moving here. The texture was good, it was moist, and I was able to let it perfectly level. Mmmm...chocolate. I also tried a new icing recipe which I was pretty excited about. I didn't have almond extract, so I added peppermint oil. Chocolate and peppermint taste great together, don't you think? I discovered that during my days at The U when my roommate and I sat on the back porch drinking hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps with marshmallows on top. Those were the days.

On top of the peppermint icing with the chocolate cake below, I rolled out peppermint marshmallow fondant. Now, I know that may seem like overkill, but it was perfect. It tasted really good. The problem, however, is that the cake was ugly. U-G-L-Y. I shoved in the refrigerator with the hope of prettying it up a little on Sunday, but that thing was beyond help. It could quite possibly be my biggest flop.

I've learned how to laugh at myself and move on. That's a good thing because I'm sure this won't be my last screw-up. I didn't have a clear picture in my mind of what the cake should look like as a finished product, so I had no idea where I was going. Improvisation works well for some in comedy, but maybe not so much in cake decorating. Oh well; live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment