Thursday, March 17, 2011

Work Hard and God Will Prosper You

I'm excited to do a cake this weekend. No, it isn't for-hire, but it is an opportunity to dust off the cake pans and be creative. I still have a lot of unpacking to do, but I can take a day off...right? :) I have high hopes for it, but I hope my hopes don't sink right along with the cake. Baking at high altitude is a little tricky, so this will be not only a test of my new fondant recipe, but a test of my memory. How did I make it work before? Less leavening, more liquid, something about atmospheric pressure... We'll see how it goes. It's it's a bust, I won't sweat it. It's for a bunch of dudes and some of the girls from work. Dudes will eat almost anything, and the girls are always supportive. I love them.

I have never been so thankful for the absence of television. I found I couldn't squeeze it into my monthly budget, so it went bye-bye. Instead, I've become good friends with the library database. I can't say I've read this much in my life without being forced to. I like it. I found a reading list on daveramsey.com that I've almost finished. It's a list of five books he requires each of his employees to read during their first 90 days of employment. I started 45 days ago and have finished four from the list. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander? According to Google, it does exist, but the library doesn't seem to have it anywhere in its network. If one of the three people who are reading this can help me out, I would appreciate it. The budget doesn't allow for the purchase of it quite yet.

"Work hard and God will prosper you."

That was a key point in the book I just finished, The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant by Terry Felber. We hear all the time how God pours out his blessings onto His children and we somehow think we can just sit around and wait for it to happen TO us. Yet, in everything else, God does His part if we will do ours. KNOCK and the door will be opened. SEEK and you will find. So what am I doing? I'm wasting my life getting up, feeding the dog, going to a job I like but don't have passion for, coming home, making dinner, and going to bed. What is my passion and why am I not doing it right now? I'm thinking I should see where this cake thing can take me.

1 comment: