Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs Cake


I made this cake for my monthly book club. Because I didn't read the book, I decided to take an idea from my "Hello, Cupcake" book and adapt it for a cake as I'm pretty sure I loathe making stupid cupcakes.

It's a one-layer chocolate cake with cream cheese icing "noodles" that were tinted with cocoa powder and a small smear of yellow to look like a pasta color. Luckily, I had no shortage of uncooked spaghetti noodles to compare the color to. :o)

To compliment the chocolate and cream cheese flavors, I used cherry pie filling "sauce." I beat it in my mixer to mash the cherries, and I think that was important step. I used Ferro-Roche chocolate truffles for the meatballs, although you could use Lindt truffles and they would look just as authentic. They might even taste better...

I sent this picture to my Grandma, and she liked it so much that she made a similar cake for her friends at her nursing home on April Fool's Day. Without a doubt, I know I got the "cake crazies" from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment