Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Like Cake

I like cake.

I do. I can't help it. The truth is, I think I like baking and decorating cakes more than I like eating them. If that makes me crazy, then I guess you can call me Sibyl. I've become rather interested in the art in the recent months, and I have a feeling it's going to take complete control of my life soon.

For me, it all started back in 1996 during my first job at a locally-owned arts and crafts store. I worked evenings and weekends making balloon arrangements for all sorts of parties, but some of the time, I was asked to cover the cake decorating department. Watching my grandmother and mother bake and decorate cakes from time-to-time, I thought I could manage with no problem. It was, after all, in the blood, right? Wrong. Those crazy cake ladies spoke a foreign language and it wasn't long before I was talking cake-speak. Do you know what a filigree bell is? I sure as hell didn't. I do now.

It wasn't long before my employer offered to pay my way through one of their monthly cake decorating classes so I could become better acquainted with the merchandise. At 16, I was the youngest in my class, but I didn't mind. I learned some good things that I continued to use throughout the years in my casual encounters with my second-hand Kitchen Aid mixer. After moving back to my hometown to finish my Bachelor's degree, I was drowning in academia with the likes of Dostoevsky and Machiavelli. I soon found myself craving a creative outlet. The summer session of Intro to Ceramics was a good start, but it wasn't until I signed up for a second cake decorating class with my former employer that things started to make sense again.

Here, now, I sit surrounded with post-its reminding me of the cakes I've committed to make for the month. How did this happen? How did I get to be so lucky? Where do I go from here?

Thanks for taking time out of your busy life to see what's happening in mine. Like every new blogger, I would love to know you're out there reading about what's on my mind. Take a minute to say, "Hello," and please, stop by again soon.

1 comment: